Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Dd. Spungin

Solid Pistachio Shells
Dd. Spungin


At a moment’s notice, I can become The Hulk
So say my grandsons, unused to my scaly green outbursts
Nutcracker in hand, I conquer the almond
Its willingness to capitulate to my touch, a gift


In the supermarket aisle, needed items sit atop the highest shelf
Smaller now but caneless,
I need to choose:
Call for help or bypass my desire


It isn’t just the daily routines that turn me angry green
Ignorance can do it
Sometimes long lines of traffic
The late payment unforgiven


Talk of my patience has not been greatly exaggerated
But there is that limit:
The shell that refuses to crack
The burnt pot
Any declaration of war.
 
The Summer Gazebo Readings are held each Monday evening at 7pm in June, July & August. Each evening 4-5 authors and poets share their work from our Gazebo on Schoolhouse Green in Oceanside, NY. SGR is produced by the Kiwanis Club of Oceanside. Funds raised through sponsorships help send underprivileged kids to Kamp Kiwanis each summer. This summer marks our 7th season!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job. I feel your angst.