Monday, April 29, 2013

Narges Rothermel

Don’t Give Up On Me

Narges Rothermel
 
I heard you say, I am not worthy of your time
I heard you say, “Wasting the space is a crime”
I heard you say, you are giving up on me
Don’t, I am on a crossroad of survival, you see
My father has not given up trying
My mother still hoping, she still is trying
The land I am born in struggling to open her heart
Acceptance by my countrymen is still, very hard
Not quite welcome at all desirable sites
Being different, repels so many God given rights
I’ve heard God created man in his image
I’ve heard a million forms of this message
Mom told me Jesus’ skin had a shade of brown
He became Jesus for every country and each town,
He became Jesus for every race, yellow red or brown
even for the ones with fair-skin and golden crown
Mom told me I’m also a child of God
when I’m among his other children, I hear the silent shout
Being poor and different makes me stand alone, and stand Out
Its odd that many still don’t see me as a child of The Only God
Like God’s other children I need to fit in. I need to survive
I too, yearn to exist. I too, need to dream I too, need to thrive
My dear teacher, I know you find it hard to cope
But you and this class are the only roads to my Hope
Invest in my future now, so you and your child
don’t have to face me when anger makes me wild
so, you don’t have to house me in windowless cells,
so you don’t have to buy iron-doors, alarms, and the bells
Perhaps spending some of your time, is the key
So, you don’t have to cage my child or me
in the other side of barbed-wire-fences
Please, try to see me with a pair of new lenses
My teacher, don’t condemn me and how I behave
Help me to be Brave in the Land of the Brave
Help me to feel Free in the Land of the Free
My dear teacher, Please, don’t Give Up On Me! 
 
The Summer Gazebo Readings are held each Monday evening at 7pm in June, July & August. Each evening 4-5 authors and poets share their work from our Gazebo on Schoolhouse Green in Oceanside, NY. SGR is produced by the Kiwanis Club of Oceanside. Funds raised through sponsorships help send underprivileged kids to Kamp Kiwanis each summer. This summer marks our 7th season  
 

No comments: