Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Poem by Herb Siegel

FRIENDS FOR ALL SEASONS
by Herb Siegel


Chosen like produce on a farmer’s stand
by me with an outstretched hand
after careful introspection,
and even closer inspection.
Some are misshapen, others not,
yet each have unique qualities--
a few were hot others benign
all fill the time and wet my palate
for a frivolous design.

Some are here to share my solitude,
others ripe with warmth that hides decay
can turn toxic any time, any day.
Still all were habit forming,
titillating and yet boring.

All did their nascent dance
when face-to-face, left little to chance.
Short-lived like farmer’s crops
come and go with a seasonal flow.

Few I remember today
save when I hear a familiar name,
to restore good memories again and again.
Both I’ll keep ‘til the end,
after all each was a good friend.
Herb will be appearing at The Gazebo on August 24, 2009.
The Summer Gazebo Readings feature 4 author/poets each Monday evening in June, July and August, 7 pm at Schoolhouse Green in Oceanside, NY. See the links to the right for our schedule and directions. Bring a lawn chair and come on down!

No comments: