Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Poem by Vicki Iorio

Hannah Leslie
vicki iorio 4/09
There is a new baby in the next apartment
Hannah Leslie
I never hear you
it a tribute to the builder
who knew that thick walls
like Frost's fences make good neighbors
or my television is on too loud
you made your debut
new spring flower
on one of the first warm days
I think I heard you once
during my early morning shower
before going to work
just a little cry
or it was one of my cats waiting breakfast
in memory time
when the television is off
radio static is a lullaby
when night sweats invade
I hang out the window like a tenement ghost
and listen for your affirmation.

The Summer Gazebo Readings feature 4 author/poets each Monday evening in June, July and August, 7 pm at Schoolhouse Green in Oceanside, NY. See the links to the right for our schedule and directions. Bring a lawn chair and come on down!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Great poem, Vicki. Love the ending!