Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Poem by Yolanda Coulaz

COOL, COTTON COMFORT  
by Yolanda Coulaz

I wore him like a tight pair of jeans,
and he looked damn good on me.
It was almost obscene,
that tight pair of jeans.
He didn’t fit,
and I was proud of it
and the way they’d stare
at that man I’d wear.
It was almost obscene,
that pair of jeans.
Well, I’m older today,
and I’ve got a man that fits
like a pair of sweats, heather grey,
and he looks damn good on me.
And that tight pair of jeans?
Well, I threw him away. 

Yolanda will be at The Gazebo on August 31, 2009.

The Summer Gazebo Readings feature 4 author/poets each Monday evening in June, July and August, 7 pm at Schoolhouse Green in Oceanside, NY. See the links to the right for our schedule and directions. Bring a lawn chair and come on down!
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like this poem.

Anonymous said...

The more I think about this poem, the more it upsets me. If this is your "signature" poem, it's a pretty sad signature. If a man wrote this about a woman (basically saying "I used her for a while and then threw her away"), he would be accused (rightly) of all sorts of sexist motives. But it's ok for a woman to write this?